5 Steps to Make the Mediterranean Diet Easy
August 5, 2023
The Mediterranean diet is often touted as one of the healthiest diets in the world.
It's not just a diet; it's a lifestyle that emphasizes fresh, whole foods and is associated with numerous health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and even longevity.
However, like any diet, it can seem overwhelming at first. But fear not, because with the right approach, you can make the Mediterranean diet easy and enjoyable.
Here are five steps to make it easy:
1. Embrace the Basics:
At its core, the Mediterranean diet is about eating the way people in Mediterranean countries traditionally have. This means:
1) Lots of Vegetables:
Fill your plate with a variety of colorful, non-starchy vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, and leafy greens. They are the foundation of this diet.
2) Healthy Fats: Use extra virgin olive oil as your primary source of fat.
It's rich in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants. Nuts, seeds, and fatty fish like salmon and sardines are also excellent sources of healthy fats.
3) Lean Protein:
Include moderate portions of lean protein sources like poultry, fish, and legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas).
These provide essential nutrients without the saturated fat found in red meat.
4) Whole Grains:
Opt for whole grains over refined ones.
Choose whole wheat bread, brown rice, quinoa, and whole-grain pasta.
5) Fresh Fruits:
Enjoy a variety of fresh fruits in moderation.
They provide natural sweetness and important vitamins.
2. Stock Your Kitchen:
Making the Mediterranean diet easy starts with a well-stocked kitchen.
Ensure you have these essentials on hand:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: It's not just for cooking; you can use it as a salad dressing or drizzle it over cooked dishes for flavor.
- Herbs and Spices: Dried oregano, basil, rosemary, and garlic can add Mediterranean flavors to your meals.
- Canned Tomatoes: They're versatile and can be used in sauces, stews, and soups.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, and chia seeds are excellent choices.
- Legumes: Keep a variety of canned or dried legumes on hand for soups, salads, and side dishes.
3. Plan Your Meals
- Weekly Menu: Create a weekly meal plan. Include a mix of your favorite Mediterranean dishes and try new recipes regularly.
- Batch Cooking: Cook in batches and freeze portions for quick and healthy meals on busy days.
- Prep Ingredients: Wash and chop vegetables, marinate proteins, and portion out grains in advance to streamline cooking.
4. Keep it Simple
You don't need to make elaborate dishes every day.
Some of the best Mediterranean meals are simple.
- Greek Salad: Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, Kalamata olives, and feta cheese with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Mediterranean Omelet: Make an omelet with tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese.
- Hummus and Veggies: Dip fresh veggies into homemade or store-bought hummus.
5. Enjoy the Social Aspect
In Mediterranean cultures, meals are a social affair.
Share your meals with family and friends whenever possible.
It not only makes the experience more enjoyable but also encourages healthier eating habits.
Meats are eaten in small portions by Mediterranean peoples, who prefer lean cuts.
Poultry is a good source of lean protein without the high levels of saturated fat found in some cuts of red meat. With ground meats, 90 percent lean/10 percent fat is a sound choice.
Poultry and red meat common to the traditional Mediterranean Diet include: beef, chicken, duck, goat, guinea fowl, lamb, mutton, pork.
Remember, the Mediterranean diet is not about strict rules; it's about a balanced and enjoyable way of eating.
By embracing the basics, stocking your kitchen with the right ingredients, planning your meals, keeping it simple, and enjoying meals with loved ones, you can make the Mediterranean diet a natural and easy part of your lifestyle.
Over time, you'll likely find that it's not a diet at all but a delicious and sustainable way of eating for lifelong health and wellness.
How to get started?
If you like the Mediterranean diet and want recipes to get started.
We do recommend getting The 21 Day Mediterranean Diet Challenge.
It's a weekly Mediterranean Meal Plan, grocery lists and recipes to help you get started.
Let us take all the hard work out of the Mediterranean diet for you!
Hundreds of women are experiencing the same struggle you’re going through right now.
- 21-days of meal planning, done for you
- Complete shopping lists, already organized
- No Stress, Feel happier and energetic
Want easy Mediterranean recipes and meals that's planned for you?