Cucumber tomato Feta Salad
July 26, 2020
FETA SALAD INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
One great thing about this salad is that all of the ingredients are easy to find any time of the year. However, cucumber, onion and tomato salad with fresh garden vegetables are some of the best for summer picnics and cookouts.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy feta salad:
- Feta cheese – As mentioned above, the variety of feta doesn’t matter, so use the one you enjoy!
- Romaine lettuce – Of course, you can substitute your favorite variety of lettuce. The darker the greens are, the healthier they are.
- English cucumbers – These are long, seedless cucumbers that are sold in the produce section, near the regular cucumbers. If you can’t find them, just use the regular cucumbers.
- Tomatoes – I like to use Roma tomatoes, but cherry, grape, and even heirloom tomatoes are also good choices.
- Red onion – I prefer red onion for its sweeter taste. It also has a nice crunch that you can’t always find in white and yellow onions.
- Fresh dill – The flavor of fresh dill marries the salad ingredients together, so try not to skip it!
HOW LONG WILL FETA SALAD STAY FRESH?
If you store it in a covered container in the refrigerator, the salad should keep well for up to 4 days. You may get a day or two longer if you leave the dressing off until just before serving the salad.
Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad (Recipe)
1 romaine lettuce
1 English cucumber
3 Roma tomatoes
1/2 red onion
2 Tbsp chopped dill
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup kalamata olives
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2-1 Tbsp honey
Finley slice romaine lettuce, then rinse and spin dry (make sure the lettuce is very dry so it doesn't water down the dressing later).
Slice cucumber in half lengthwise, then again lengthwise, and cut into 1/4s (see video).
Thinly slice red onion and then cut thin slices in half to get about 1-2 inch-long thin stripes (see video).
Remove leaves from stems of dill, discard stems and finely chop leaves.
Add all chopped up ingredients into a large salad bowl, add crumbled feta and olives and set aside.
For the dressing add olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, sea salt, and pepper to a sealable container and shake un til well combined.
Add dressing to salad minutes before serving, give a good toss and enjoy!
If you like the Mediterranean diet and want more recipes like this?
We do recommend getting joining The Mediterranean Inner Recipe Club. It's a weekly Mediterranean Meal Plan, grocery lists and over 200 recipes to help you get started.
Let us take all the hard work out of the Mediterranean diet for you! Hundreds of women are experiencing the same struggle you’re going through right now.
- have a plan and reduce stress
- eat healthy every day
- reduce food waste
- save time and money
Want over 200 Mediterranean recipes and meals that you can cook at home?