The 10 commandments of The Mediterranean Diet
By Stephanie , April 27, 2019 11:00 AM
A traditional Mediterranean diet has been shown to have significant health benefits. But can you follow it if you live nowhere near a Greek island?
We're always being told a traditional Mediterranean-style diet is an incredibly healthy way to eat. As well as its proven benefits in preventing heart attacks and promoting a longer life generally, it has specifically been shown to help ward off diabetes as well as bowel and prostate cancers.
The 10 commandments
Professor Itsiopoulos, also an adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Melbourne, has developed "10 commandments" of the Mediterranean diet which can help you get a handle on what it involves.
1. Use extra virgin olive oil as the main added fat (aim for around 60 mls /day)
2. Eat vegetables with every meal (include 100g leafy greens and 100g tomatoes, and 200g other vegetables/day)
3. Include least two legumes meals (250g serve) per week
4. Eat least two servings of fish (150-200g serves) per week
5. Eat smaller portions of meat (beef, lamb, pork and chicken) and less often (no more than once or twice a week)
6. Eat fresh fruit every day and dried fruit and nuts as snacks or dessert
7. Eat yogurt every day (about 200g) and cheese in moderation (about 30 to 40 grams per day)
8. Include wholegrain breads and cereals with meals (aim for 3-4 slices of bread per day)
9. Consume wine in moderation (one standard drink a day, which is about 100 mls), always with meals and don't get drunk. Try and have a couple of alcohol-free days a week
10. Have sweets or sweet drinks for special occasions only
These commandments can also be used to apply the health-giving principles of the Mediterranean diet to other kinds of cuisine. As well as researching the diet.
So now that you have a bit of information on the 10 commandments and basics of the diet, it is time to start. Luckily this diet is easy to follow and delicious, so it will not be too hard to get started.
You might like this meal plan to give you a no brainer easy approach that gets you started with shopping lists, quick and easy recipes, and tips for creating Mediterranean meals.
The Mediterranean Meal Plan Course is only $37.
Plus you get all these 5 Bonuses.
Bonus #1: 30 Mediterranean Meals In Under 30 Minutes Cookbook (Value $127)
This Cookbook will show the best Mediterranean meals to cook under 30 minutes
Bonus #2: The Essential Mediterranean Cookbook (Value $67)
In this cookbook it will provide over 121 delicious Mediterranean recipes that are easy to find and make at home.
Bonus #3: 4-Week Mediterranean Plan (Value $67)
This meal plan will give an action guide on what to eat for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.
It is designed to keeping your meals on track in case if it gets loss.
Bonus #4: Healthy Heart Remedy (Value $267)
Find out exactly what steps and actions that are needed to take today in order to start lowering the blood pressure and cholesterol in the shortest time possible!
Bonus #5: Mediterranean Diet For Beginners (Value $67)
An easy comprehensive guide with the no nonsense approach to which foods to eat for the Mediterranean Diet.
A total value of $632 for only…$37
Need Help With The Mediterranean Diet?